Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Life's too short

There are so many things that float over my head like dark clouds daily. I was confident that once I had some resolve to these floaters, I'd be able to relax and focus on real life. But you know, life is too short to be wasted on the floaters. Real life goes on while I am stuck focusing on the floaters and I haven't been able to enjoy what I have.


Is it a hiding place? Working on their tans?
or
a fine place to eat apples?

Chris interviewed for a new job back in October, maybe September. A completely new opportunity in a huge company that would respect his talents and give him endless opportunities. He was told he'd be made an offer before the holidays, then the first of the year, then two weeks after that. Now it's March and a this job should be a possibility within the next week or so. We'll see what happens. But I am thankful he has a paycheck now.

Then there's our home. When we found it, it was just what we needed, and all we could afford. The plan was to stay here for a couple years, sell it for a profit, and move on to something bigger. Now the housing market is in a rut and we are essentially stuck. We have not been able to find a way out that would work. We've seen so many good friends move away because of housing issues, and we're just not sure what's going to happen to us. But, I am thankful I have a home.


Why can't everyday be like this?

Good Buddies playing at the park. Period.

On a daily basis swimming through my mind are: my list of daily chores not yet completed, my family's physical health (overwhelmingly blessed in that area, thankfully), what I still need to pick up at the store, the price of groceries, clothes that have been outgrown, unfinished projects for the house, my bank account, what my kids ate that day, what we're going to eat for dinner, is my car clean, did I call that person back, update primary rosters, do I have a meeting tonight, should I throw this away or save it, am I ready for the next day, what do I need to get done before Sunday, when is Chris coming home???

And that's not life. Family is life. Creating memories with my kids, that's what I want. I want to start some great family traditions for General Conference weekend, San Clemente, Shaver Lake that my kids will always remember. I want them to have great memories with their grandparents and others. I want less of the noise in my head. And I just want to let go of all the pettiness that's not important and start living!



Handsome boy. Wonder where he gets it?

5 comments:

Alison Hall said...

I love it! I hear noise too much too and wish that I was better at filtering it out. I was thinking tonight about how fast my kids are growing up and how sad I am that it seems that, before long, THEY will have the noise. I hope and pray that I can learn to filter MY noise so that I can teach my kids to filter too.

Thanks for the post!!!

Crystal said...

Totally can relate somewhat!

I mean I got anxious and overwhellmed just reading your list of things you think about becasue it reminded me of all the things that float through my head!

Just scream into your pillow...really it feels good.

Amanda said...

I have been in the same stage lately. Noise....too much of it. So much of it that I really can't enjoy what is going on around me. It is really sad. My husband is always reminding me to stop and enjoy what is going on now...because today is here and it won't last forever. Isn't that the truth. I think the "noise" is Satan's way of taking us away from what is most important....family.

Thanks for post. I really enjoyed it. I need to do this on my blog.

Thanks Kim! Miss ya girl!

Rebecca said...

We are all so lucky to have husbands with jobs right now and a roof over our head and sometimes you just have to step back and say it is enough. I have what I need. I am blessed with more than most people have and be happy right now.
I am a worrier and sometimes I can't let myself just be happy and content in here and now. But when I remind myself of all the great thing we have and see how quickly the kids are growing up, I have to stop and try to enjoy today.

Ali said...

I love how you put everything. Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to be done with all the things I have to do. And I just want the day to be over. And then I look at my child who is growing up WAAAAY too fast and I want time to stop.

Thanks for your post. It really made me think about all my blessings and every good thing in my life