Last summer I went crazy trying to find swim lessons for my kids. 3 different city programs. One was full. The other was too expensive and only 2 days a week. The final one had openings, but about 12 minutes into the 30 minute drive to get there, I turned around and knew I would not be going there every day. Of course, I could just teach them myself. But, as I've recently learned, they don't always like to listen to Mommy give instruction. Nope.
So back in February, I started my search. I knew the program I wanted, and I found the dates to register. I wrote it down on my calendar and was determined to be first in line.
Of course, since I didn't have "first priority" with when I could sign up, all the classes were full when I got online that morning. Arrrgghh! It's spring lessons, not summer, so there are fewer kids, fewer pools, and fewer options. Summer lessons just better watch out!
Then almost 2 weeks ago, the clouds parted and I was told that there was an opening for Dillan. JOY! I took it and immediately after signed up Leah for a class. Like she would sit calmly on the deck while big brother is in the pool? Not a chance.
Unfortunately, you have to be 3 to be in a class without a parent. So Mommy had to sign up too. She's the only kid over 2. The rest are babies. Babies! We sing fun little songs, and Leah's the only one singing along. I have to hold her. I have to raise her body out of the water while singing "The Wheels on the Bus." Yeah, nevermind the fact that she's as big as a 3-year-old!
She's still a big chicken in the water, though. I finally got her to float on her back in a relaxing position, but only for a second before she clings back onto my neck with arms and legs.
Peggy, we need you!
Dillan is the superstar in his class. Partly because he missed the age cut-off for the next level by a week! He was fortunate enough to get the only male teacher of the session. He couldn't be happier about it. I peek over every few minutes at his class to watch. Usually one of the kids is on the deck crying for her mother, and the other is latched onto the gutter not paying much attention. The teacher had them jumping off the side the other day, every time I looked Dillan was jumping in fearlessly. So proud. Hopefully in this class or the next he will be pushed a little more to swim on his own. Leah too, but it looks like the pushing will have to come from Mom.
Great.
I only hope there is another teacher like Peggy out there. In fact, 6 or so years ago when I had my refresher instructor course in Utah, there was a teacher like Peggy. She was a grandmother, and had taught her grandkids to swim at the age of 2. She was strict. Not that I'd move to Utah just for her to teach my kids. I don't think I would, anyway.
3 comments:
SWIMMING!!!!! I love it. I'm so happy that Leah is at least getting in the water. Because even though my kid loves bath time, she freaks in big bodies of water. Probably because I never take her in any. BAD MOMMY!
And I know I would stink teaching my own kid. I just know I would do something that would scare her out of the water for good.
OHH!! Remember those times a kid would slip away and you would turn your back and he would be drowning 1 foot away from you? And then the other times when one kid would drink too much pool water and end up vomiting all over you? GOOD TIMES!! O how I miss it!
PEGGY - Oh Summer swim lessons at Peggy's house = the good ol' days - I enjoyed the flashback! ;)
Jen Kugler Schaupp
I have been trying to find swim classes for my kids too! I had no idea how difficult it would be. They are all either on the other side of town or way to expensive.
On another note...the other night Tom and I were watching ESPN sports center and guess who was commentating? Landon Donavon. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go to your rival high school?
Honestly, every time I hear his name I think of Perpignian and the World Cup....good times, no?
Post a Comment