Where do we begin?
Thinking I was brilliant to come up with a way to keep my kids learning and make money during the summer to spend on awesome activities, I created job charts for the summer. They included reading, writing, and workbooks a few times a week. The kids were told that every time they completed a job they would receive a quarter to place in their fancy personalized boxes I created for them. Brilliant mom, feeling good. I had everything set up for Dillan's last day of school that he would find waiting for him.
It's only our first week of summer, and the novelty of my brilliance has faded. If I remind the children about earning quarters, they get to work, but it's not what I expected. But that's summer for you. Of course, we still have many weeks left, so I'll keep my hopes up that we'll get into it more.
We started swim lessons this week. Leah has finally taken off with the water this summer, which is the rub off of how she ended last summer. She loves being in the water, has no problem putting her face in and moving forward. When there are brave kids around her that she wants to follow, she does. It's great! Only when she comes up for air does she panic, but we're working on that and hopefully by Shaver she will be 100% water safe!
Dillan is unfortunately in the wrong class. I blame myself for not having the good sense to figure out he should be in a higher level. I took the kids last month to the free evaluation and they told me Level 1. Well, from my observation, Leah (if she was 5) would be just fine in Level 1. Dillan should be in Level 2, pushing Level 3. I realized it the first day but was told I couldn't change him. So now we've told him that he needs to be the best Level 1 that he can be. So he's working hard and impressing his teacher daily.
The last week of school the kids and I put together a huge list of everything we wanted to do this summer. We found a lot of free ideas online and came up with the rest ourselves. I printed out this list and stuck it on the fridge. The kids refer to it almost daily. This list is very important to Dillan.
Number one on the list was a sleepover. Wyatt's mom and I picked a day that would be best. Dillan had 4 days to wait. Every morning he reminded me that it was almost the day of the sleepover. To pass the time, he made a new list. The list of everything he was going to do when Wyatt was at our house. When Wyatt arrived, they pulled out the list and one-by-one got everything done. It was hilarious. Board games, handball outside, a treasure hunt, eating popcorn, watch a movie, play the Wii, build a fort, pillow fight, midnight snack, etc etc. It was his first friend sleepover and he pulled it off perfectly! Now Leah thinks it's her turn and Dillan can't wait to do it again.
It's SUMMER!
No comments:
Post a Comment