Hey all you fabulous mommies out there, I am looking for a little bit of help. My in-laws are coming into town this week for Chris' graduation Saturday. My mother-in-law is a woman of many many talents. Cooking being her forte. Chris loves everything his mother ever prepares. I know and have accepted the fact that I will NEVER be as good of a cook as she. Granted, the food I cook is edible, and he thanks me for it, but I know I'm not exactly a gourmet. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a couple meals to cook for them while they are here. Some issues I have are #1, I've been on this low-carb fix for the past couple months so whatever we eat has to have protein and veggies included. #2, hopefully kid-friendly; and #3, it's been over 100 degrees out here since last week and I am NOT turning on the oven! Anyway, I didn't have much else to blog about, so if you're reading this and have some suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
7 comments:
Low Carb=crabby me. Just kidding. I was *going* to suggest macaroni salad (the kind with chunks of cheese, bell peppers, olives and some kind of olive oil dressing on top, NOT the kind drenched in mayo. Just the thought of mayo makes me gag) Anyway, I've been craving it like MAD recently.
But it's made with those spiral noodles and noodles=carbs. One of my favorite meals is Stir-fry. You can add all the veggies you want, and if you don't want to put it over rice, you can just eat it plain. And you don't have to use an oven, but you do have to put cook it over the stove and that would DEFINITELY be hot.
Secondly, I love those fancy spinach salads that have yummy things in them like cranberries, almonds and have kind of a sweet salad dressing on top. Just make sure that you use baby spinach. There's nothing worse than picking up some salad and having it be too big for your mouth. So yo make a decision of opening your mouth VERY wide (which looks ugly) or use a knife to cut your salad up before you eat it. LAME!!
Finally, I really like to barbecue. I would barbecue every night if given the chance. AND my husband usually is the one to do it, so I don't have to be outside in the hot sun. Or I turn it down really low, and so I can leave it for 10 min and then come back and check on it. I don't have to stand in the sun babysitting it. Chicken, steak, veggies, fruit, hot dogs, sausages, hamburgers, veggie burgers. You name it, we put it on the grill. AND CLEAN UP IS A SNAP!! Now the only question. . .do you have a grill?
Anyway, those are my ideas. Oh, and Otter Pops. I eat about 25 Otter Pops a day. I bet your kids would LOVE having those for dinner.
Thanks Ali! I forgot about the spinach salad. I LOVE them! I wish I had a barbeque grill, alls I got is a George Foreman. It's just not the same. So...not to ask the obvious, but just hang in there with the end of your pregnancy. I know it sucks. It's almost over! I hate being pregnant. Then it just never seems to end and people don't leave you alone about it. The best thing I did for myself with #2 was get a pedicure. If you've seen my feet, you'd know it was my first time ever (with a professional). It was September so I had a nice tan on my legs. That's what got me through labor. Looking at my lovely legs and toes, oh and the women's world cup on TV.
Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Until next time...
Hmm, interesting perdicament. If it were me and my in-laws were coming to visit I wouldn't cook a bite. I'd let them take us out to dinner. That's my suggestion.
The funny thing about my pregnancy is that I feel that it went by SO quickly. I spent years at a job that I hated and that treated me like crap. So when I finally got pregnant, I kept it a secret from everyone there until like a month ago.
So really I feel like I've only been pregnant for a month. I honestly am WAY more terrified about giving birth and then taking care of a little baby. This baby can stay inside me for as long as it wants. No joke, My OB asked me if I wanted to be induced today, and I told him that I wanted to wait a week. (My due date is this upcoming Saturday. Yeah, in 4 days).
I know that everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I'm really not that uncomfortable. The worst thing that I have to deal with is getting up off the couch and waking up 4 to 5 times a night to pee. But I don't have to work at my horrible job anymore so that means I can take naps to recover the lost sleep.
I really can't complain about being pregnant. I mean I get pregnant fast, (ridiculously fast) I don't have complications, and the worst thing I have to deal with is a little acid reflux (which is immediately cleared up with a single Tums!!) And I haven't felt a single contraction yet, so I KNOW that this baby isn't ready to be born. I'm just going to let it hang out till it wants to come.
Oh, and I LOVE Jenny's comment about having them take you out to dinner!! I would have to agree with that whole heartedly. And then come home for some homemade strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream. Oh, that sounds great!! I think I want some right now.
Hey Kim, you need to make the cafe rio pork salad that I have a recipe for. It is all cooked in the crock-pot and it is so easy! Plus, it is all homemade and you are sure to amaze them all. We made it at Kevin's families house and EVERYONE loved it! It was a hit!
Here is a link for the recipe
http://wirewhisk.blogspot.com/2007/11/pork-barbecue-cafe-rio-style.html
ENJOY!!!
OH! I love the Cafe Rio pork idea. you can put it on sandwiches, or you can re-create the salads or burritos there. Smoother them with cheese and put them in the oven to bake. Ohh!!! That would be awesome!!
Anyway, I do NOT have a problem hearing other's pregnancy/birthing stories. I actually REALLY appreciated yours because it let me know that it *can* be done a little while on pitocin before the epidural. And the more I hear, the more I know what to expect.
Oh, and for your doctor to say that you are the boss, how nice would THAT be? But I guess I *could've* been induced yesterday and I chose not to. So I guess I'm the boss too!!
Hey Ali, I don't know you, but I know Kim! I felt the same way as you. I loved being pregnant and I didn't want the labor part to happen! I was horrified! I ended up having a c-section, which I think was better for me. I can't imagine pushing out a baby!!! OUCH! I did the whole labor thing and it ended in a c-secion. Hannah's heart rate went down into the 60's for quite a while. So, we did an emergency c-section. IT worked out great.
For me...breastfeeding was the hardest part. Hannah is now 9 months old and we are still enjoying our breastfeeding relationship. You just have to tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS!!" Believe in yourself and your body. Your body was made to do what it is doing.
Good luck! I can't wait to hear how things go! How exciting!
Post a Comment