Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Days of Shaver

Another Shaver Week has come and gone. I absolutely love all the anticipation that leads up to the trip, it kind of keeps me going all year. I'm not sure what it is and I don't expect anyone else to understand. Maybe it's the crisp mountain air or the enormous pine trees that regulate the area. They have such an immense presence, you feel like an intruder to their territory. You can stand in the lake and actually see your feet below. It's not even cold! The water is beautiful, even with all the boats and waverunners zipping in every direction. Hey, even we thinking/dreamers in nature can't sit still too long! Early-morning wakeboarding, swim races across the cove, being whipped on a tube (because you asked for it!), jumping off the rock (when deep enough), horseshoe tournaments, noisy dinners, late-night games, and the worst cravings for sleep even with painful muscles and sunburn...just to muster up the energy to start again the next day!

A thought that always enters my mind is the calming feeling of peace one experiences when outdoors. When you are outside, completely surrounded by nature, you are completely surround by The Creation. And since Heavenly Father's Earthly Creation is 100% obedient to Him, we are 100% surrounded by obedience, and that's where the peace comes from.
I love it. I can't get enough of it. If I had the means, I would have a home on that mountain to escape to often. We figured out that my family has been to that mountain 9 times. For myself, I believe it has been 6 or 7. For Chris and I, every year since we were married and for my children, every year since birth. I love knowing that they will have many memories of that place, and I intend to do all I can so they can continue to experience those memories. Speaking of memories, I am very pleased to announce a milestone that occurred while at Shaver Lake 2008. Leah learned to climb not just up the stairs but also down the stairs (safely!) She had successfully scaled our stairs at home and so continued her training in our cabin. She figured out how to reach the top and then began the descent down! Impressive? For me, yes!

Maybe it's because all the family makes every effort possible to be there that gives the trip such a feeling of warmth. We totaled 42. An impressive 4 generations of families were present. Grandkids ranging in age from 30 to 11 months plus 7 great-grandkids and 1 on the way!
We have our grandparents to thank for bringing us all together. Even with all the noise that is ever-present, we love being all together and that's the most important thing.
Presenting my first attempt at making a slideshow/video...
...drumroll please...

3 comments:

sam said...

Anderson Team.....

Thanks for making the effort to be at Shaver Lake again this year and thanks for helping to make it special. Thanks for letting me ride along with you and putting up with all of the hassles and long drive. Most of all, thanks for putting down many of the thoughts that we all share about the time we spend together at the lake. I love reading about your family.... Please keep it up!

Dad

Rebecca said...

It was a fun time for the kids. I'm glad that the boys had so much fun together.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

We are serving a mission at a Church camp in Washington. I loved your thoughts on the peace that is felt when we are 100% surrounded by Heavenly Father's creations. You have expressed my own thoughts very eloquently. Can I quote your words? Sister Kugler