Monday, April 19, 2010

The Tale of the Snow White Dress

I told Leah that if she "went" on the potty, then I would get her the coveted Cinderella dress that we had seen at the store. She was all for it.
So last Tuesday, we put undies on and went for it.
Accidents 4, Potty 0.
It was a rough day for all of us. The last time this had happened, we went back to diapers, she was begging and I wasn't about to argue.
This time I was determined that I wouldn't put the diapers back on. She cried, begged for a diaper, but stuck with me and kept moving forward with undies.
The next day I had read about putting undies under a pull-up. The undies get wet, but the mess stays put. So we tried it. I watched her like a hawk. Every minute asking her if she had to go.
2 more accidents. She didn't even care! She was using the pull-up as a diaper. I wanted to quit. I didn't know what to do!
We sat on the potty a lot and sang songs.
Finally, probably on Thursday, we found a rhythm. First thing when she woke up, I set her on the potty. She did it! A few hours later I sat her down again. Bing! Later we had to run over to Target. Scary. BadaBoom! She went at Target!
It was clicking!
I was so overjoyed! Probably more than she was.

So for the next few days, it was working. She occasionally verbalized the fact that she had to go, and the rest of the time I told her we were going. You could tell she had figured out how to hold it. I told her if she had 0 accidents during the weekend, we would get the Cinderella dress on Monday. Well, during the weekend we frequented a different Target in the area. She went there too. We wandered down the Princess aisle, but there was no Cinderella dress. Only Belle and Princess and the Frog. So then she changed her mind and wanted the Belle dress. I wasn't all that impressed with the Belle dress. It looked like half a dress.
Then we watched Snow White at home. Then she wanted a Snow White dress.
Quelle surprise!
I figured we'd be safe with Cinderella.

So today, Monday, we set out on our search. I started at the Disney Store. I thought it was a sure thing. Yeah, they had dresses. EXPENSIVE dresses! Cinderella's dress? $39.50. REALLY? Sorry, not a chance. I tried to talk her into a pretty princess nightgown, but she knew what she wanted. I asked the girl at the store if they ever have Snow White dresses. She said you only ever see those around Halloween. Perfect.
Then we headed over to the dreaded WalMart. I was relieved they didn't even have Cinderella. So one more Target. It was my last stop. We were both ready to be done searching.
Walking toward the princess aisle, I knew that WHATEVER dress they had, I was going to talk her into it and she was going to be happy.
On top of that, she's 3 for 3 at the 3 different Target stores in the area! Score!

When I looked on the wall where the dresses were, I was elated. I nearly hit the floor, about to get on my knees to thank the Lord for the dresses that we saw. A beautiful sparkly Snow White dress hung on its own amid so many others. It was perfect. It was the first one Leah saw too. Oh happy day! AND it was tagged with a "Price Cut!" Could I be any happier???



Way to go Potty Princess! You deserve it!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Awesome! We want to start with tysen but I know that if I start I have to stick with it...and I dont know if i'm ready to do that yet. lol
Keep it up girl!

Rebecca said...

That is a great idea for a reward - she looks cute in the dress. And I am happy for you that she is out of diapers. Julia has turned into the "bathroom inspector". She uses the bathroom at every store or restaurant we go to! Sometimes more than once if there is something interesting in there. It is pretty funny!

Asmus Clan said...

Yay Leah! Not much progress with Sydney yet, except she's finally decided she hates it when she has an accident. Now it's a test of wills. We're just waiting to see who's more stubborn now. Me or her.

Marcie said...

Good job, Kim (Potty training is no fun), and good job for being the Potty Princess, Leah! That's funny about going at Targets. Another excuse for you to run errands there!