Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Leah goes to school!

She has been waiting for this day since FOR-EV-ER.
She's watched Dillan go to and from school for oh so long.
Now it's her turn!



We got up, she brushed her hair, picked out her favorite dress, brought me a hair tie and flower clip to put in her hair, put on her backpack, and said, "Let's go to MY school Mom!"

She had met Ms Carol & Ms Melissa last year and had no problem walking right into the classroom, giving both of them hugs and sitting down with the rest of the class. I got this, Mom, don't even worry about it! Seriously, when did she stop needing me???

I tried to get her to explain her whole day, but she wasn't saying too much. Only that she played, there are boys in her class, she ate pizza and cupcakes for lunch, and that she wants cupcakes and candles at her birthday party.
Definitely going to be a great year!

Story from last week (also titled "Why my 2-year-old daughter no longer needs me"): Since I've been packing up the house like a crazy person all week, she has been finding ways to entertain herself when Dillan's at school. The other day she crept into my bathroom with her own idea of what to do. I noticed it was quiet, but when I called for her, she replied that she was playing. Soon after she came out to the front room. "Look Mommy! Pretty toes!" Yes, her toenails and fingernails were painted bright pink. Not to poorly, either. Breathe, breathe. We went into her bathroom and washed her hands and feet as calmly as I could. I tried not to think about what my bathroom looked like. Keep breathing. Slow pulse. When I got there, I was shocked.
She had moved the rug to the side, got out a tissue, a Q-Tip, nail polish remover (she didn't open), and had put the polish back neatly in it's pouch. WHAT??? She had done everything that we normally do when we paint our toes. Plus...there were only 3 spots on the tile. Tha-Ree. Tiny spots. Nothing else. It was unreal. Some phantom toenail painter had to have been here. SHE'S ONLY 2!!! Going on 17, obviously.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the nail painting story!

Ali said...

That is amazing! Sometimes kids just amazing. And your child seems to be be well ahead of the curve when it comes to intelligence and do-it-yourself-ed-ness. I just made that up, if you were wondering.

I never want my kids to not need me. But it always happens. If only my kid could look as cute as yours when she does it!

Kristin said...

1. I miss Ms. Carol & Ms. Melissa. They're awesome. 2. Where are you moving? 2. Reese pulled out the pink polish on Sunday. She is only 2 and was not so neat.

Hart Family said...

Yeah LILO!!!! Have fun at school. Dono is counting the days till he gets to go!