Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time


Hooray! Our new beautiful HUGE tree (Thanks Grandma!)
One of the best things about Thanksgiving is getting all the Christmas stuff out.

I'm the first to admit how ungrateful I am. Too often I look at all the things I have and make my list of all those things that I really wish I had. This time of year allows me to look at my blessings, rather than my things. Blessings should outnumber the things. I think that's how we recognize happiness and then can be grateful, and then gain the desire to share with others.

I asked Dillan what he is thankful for. Cars and Trucks. He did eventually say he was grateful for Mommy, Daddy and his Baby Girl. I wonder, at his age, how gratitude feels to him.

I wanted to document exactly what I was grateful for this year.
My Blessings (in no particular order) : Jesus Christ, Church, Heavenly Father,Chris, Dillan, Leah, Family, Friends, Love, My Home, Mountains, Music, Food, Water, Health, Knowledge, Laughter...

Yup, nothing that can be bought with a price. Each one of these blessings is so natural, so pleasant, and gives me the complete happiness that other things just don't compare to.

Of course, I know I have a long ways to go. I love other things. Other not-so-important things. It's interesting how Black Friday falls right after Thanksgiving. On T-day you can take a step back from the world and allow yourself to reflect upon those things that you are truly thankful for in your life. Then, ridiculously early the very next morning, you find yourself in line to buy something that you intend to bring happiness to yourself or someone else. It's more artificial. Even just being in that line, knowing you hold a coveted item that many others weren't able to get at such a reasonable price gives you a sense of instant fulfillment and accomplishment.

I finished 99% of my Christmas shopping. I got 99.6% of my Christmas cards in the mail.

Maybe I'll continue to improve and hopefully have an impact on my children. Hopefully I will be able to teach them what gratitude means and the joy that blessings bring to our lives. Complete, perfect happiness. Happiness that can be eternal when we are willing to forget the other less-important things.

2 comments:

Benedict said...

Girl you are on top of it! I only have some of my shopping done. Way to go!!

Ali said...

I have not started my shopping, nor have I ever started THINKING about what I'm going to be buying.

And we are not doing a tree this year because we are going to Texas for my sister's wedding. Plus our tree is in storage and there is no room to put it in my tiny crap house.

So basically you are my Holiday example. And I will have to enjoy your tree as if it were my own.

Yeah for Christmas!!