Sunday, April 26, 2009

Relay For Life

We joined the Best Buy Team for the annual Relay For Life. I am not understating when I say we were there the whole day. The WHOLE day. The past 2 years, the kids and I, with Grandma, have attended RFL in Claremont with our cousins, but only ever stayed a few hours. We were there for the start, and left after the Luminaire program. The only thing we did not do was sleep over in a tent. Hopefully those brave ones didn't freeze to death. It was a beautiful day, but we could have done without the cold gusty wind. There was lots to do at the event, and we made sure we did it all.


So much fun! We played Plinko, Bowling, and some football!

We started out by coloring our Luminaire. We wanted to remember our family members who are fighting cancer and make a tribute to them. Of course, Dillan was first in line when it came to coloring with MARKERS!

Our luminaire. A tribute to our heroes Chad, Kyle and Shelby. We love you!

When we weren't walking the track, we had a relaxing spot under the EZUp with blankets, chairs and enough snacks to last for days. There were groups performing on the stage the entire day, and plenty of contents going on. That plus everyone was giving away food the whole day. Various groups had things to sell to raise money, others had games to keep kids entertained. Best Buy had a fun set up with Guitar Hero, so Dillan got his fill of that. He's quite the percussionist on the drums and performed well for all the employees present, who couldn't help but cheer him on.



Leah had the toughest time with all the outdoor exposure. She took a couple good naps all bundled up, but her appetite was weak. Even before we left in the morning, she didn't eat very much. Everytime I circled the track I collected 2-3 water bottles to make sure we were all drinking enough.

It was an exhausting day, but being surrounded by good people who are completely devoted to fighting for a good cause was a lot of fun. I was amazed at the efforts of teams and individuals who have been affected in one way or another by cancer. Everyone was friendly and charitable, you couldn't help but enjoy yourself. We will definantly do this again.

3 comments:

Ali said...

I love the Relay For Life. My town is HUUUUGE into it. You aren't cool unless you do the Relay For Life. I wish it was big here in Utah. I've never even heard of it around here. Maybe Utahn's don't care about cancer recovery. Jerks.

I would love to do it with my family. That sounds like so much fun. . .except that my child wakes up when she hears me go to the bathroom (through 2 closed doors) so I don't think she would sleep too well there. It sound like you had a blast

Amanda said...

What a fun/busy day! I don't think we have that here.

Cute pictures! I love Leah's little chunky legs!

Crystal said...

How Awesome!