It was a definite sanctuary from reality. Most things about that place have not changed since I was younger. It's so simple. Not extravagant. Not over-the-top. A lot of the sounds and smells are the same. The mornings feel the same. So does the return hike from the beach. And the evenings.
Playing with Daddy. Everyday the kids asked "Does Daddy work today?"
When I was packing the kids' clothes for this trip, I would try to play-out a typical beach day in my head from morning to night. In the morning, it's cooler out and so sweats and shoes are normally needed. Then it gradually gets warmer and so you change to to a swimsuit and flipflops. Then you're at the beach most of the day soaking up sun and sand.
We love the beach! Daddy and Dillan's smiley face sand castle
When you get back to the campsite, you round up some clean clothes, a towel, soap, and a couple quarters for a refreshing shower. Then you put on clean clothes, but it's still warm out, so shorts and flipflops are acceptable. But with flipflops, your feet get dirty. Then you're playing some more, riding bikes, flying kites, whatever really, until dinner.
Leah loved going on bike rides in her trailer
After dinner, the sun starts to go down and it gets a little colder. A fire is started and you change clothes again. Sweatshirts and shoes come back. Your clothes become infused with campfire smell, plus marshmallows, cinnamon/sugar and butter get all over the place.
Water balloons with the girls. They had a blast!
Then it's late and everyone goes to bed. You scrounge around, usually in the dark, searching for your PJs and toothbrush. If you're lucky enough to find them, you pull off the stinky clothes as carefully as possible without being necked in front of your little brother. Then you take one last walk to the bathroom before turning in for the night. Hopefully you're not too cold or too sunburned to get a good night sleep to be all ready for the next day!
We even hooked up with an old friend-Ryder!
So it's a number of clothes changes on any given day. We had a ton of clothes. I was also strategic as well with WHAT clothes I packed. I didn't want my kids to look homeless, but I didn't want any of their nice clothes to get permanent stains either.
It's a delicate balancing game, really. And always unpredictable.
If I remain too uptight about what they're wearing or if their feet are clean, then I don't enjoy myself, nor do the kids.
The older generation even asked this time if, in the future, we would continue coming to this place and keep the tradition going with our kids.
I know I will. I believe both my siblings and many of my cousins feel the same way.
Of course, we will have to take it up a notch.
Maybe get a huge pole to set up in our campsite with a large blue strobe light on the top that never turns off. Never.
4 comments:
What a GREAT family tradition. I am glad you were able to escape reality for a while.
That's awesome! Family camping is SO fun!! I'm so glad you all had a great time. Luv ya'll!!
Wish we could have come this year but the kids were in school.
What a great tradition!!! Thanks for inviting us to play at the beach...we had lots of fun!
Oh, and good to hear we pack alike. I go through the same process when we head to the desert.
Post a Comment